Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Welcome HOME! Now you get to pay a mortgage!

As the dust started to settle and exhaustion overlapped our excitement last night, it occured to me: WE OWN A HOUSE.

You would think this wouldn't be a shock given we've been househunting for over a year and have had our bid on this specific house for four months. But, in the darkness that typically accompanies 3 a.m. panic attacks, this was all I could think about.

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to have found a house that both my husband and I adore, one that needs some TLC but already has "good bones." I can't wait to unpack my kitchen and set up my hammock in the backyard. And let's be honest, I am chomping at the bit to organize my walk-in closet. But the fact that I am now treading on some very new territory (hello power tools and easement agreements!) is scary, and the fact that this new territory comes with a mortgage, utility bills, changing property taxes, homeowners insurance, etc., that is really scary. There's no landlord to call when the fridge breaks in Homeownerland.

So, I figured I'd throw all this fear out into the universe (a.k.a. the Internet), in hopes that others out there who are just starting their homeownership adventure or are already well-seasoned home renovators could have a common place to swap ideas, share lessons learned, or just plain vent about whatever real estate or mortgage issue has popped up now. I'll start with some of my own experiences, and we'll have some guest bloggers join us along the way, but please post a note or let me know if there's a specific topic you're interested in.
Let the adventure begin!

Cheers to mortgages and paint samples,
Shanti


3 comments:

  1. Awesome Shanti... I can't imagine you will be able to catch all the crazy details on here...but it will be fun to track your continued process. Looking forward to seeing what you guys do

    Arronrenfrew.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. way too kool that you own
    is this the house in Kirkland
    it look beautiful from the photos
    advice.....buy lottery tickets and take on one small
    project at first and finish each one before you start another
    learned that one the hard way
    no matter how uncomfortable, where a mask when
    sanding etc


    also, where a mask no matter how uncomfortable when
    sanding etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not bad grammar, bad finger typing,
    even though all reporters think photographhers struggle with spelling own name....heeheehee

    ReplyDelete